Monday, March 7, 2011

Lessons from my kids...

I've been noticing a lot of life lessons lately that I have learned by staying at home and observing my kids. I originally thought that I could teach them some things while I stay at home with them. Now I'm finding out that I'm the one getting the education.
Some things are simple. Especially from Sam's point of view.
#1. Cold rear ends aren't fun. (Cold toilet seats reinforce this for me. Apparently, cold wipes are the baby equivalent.)
#2. When people's basic needs are met - ie: food, clothing, clean rear end- they are much happier. (For example, I've often heard it said that money doesn't buy happiness. That's correct. But, when you don't have enough to cover your basic needs, that causes stress. That's not good either. I think that good people do good things with that "extra" money. The opposite is also true.)

Avery's recent lesson is a little more complicated and profound.
#1. Ask for help when you need it. (Ava's been going through an "do it myself" phase lately. She wants to get herself dressed and make her bed and turn on/off the lights ALL BY HERSELF. The only thing is, if she has trouble with any of these, she gets super frustrated and begins to bawl. She is so determined to NOT ask for help and to do it herself that she gets mad at me for even offering.)
I wonder if this is how we seem to act towards God. Our heavenly father is standing by, watching us get frustrated and He knows how to help us or fix it, but He's waiting for us to ask. He watches us try to do it all by ourselves and it pains Him to see us kick and scream and get so mad and hit those brick walls over and over. If only we'd ask for help. If only we'd ask for His guidance. If only we'd realize from the start that God is standing by and has the answers we're looking for. We just must trust Him. And that's where the hard part comes in. Living by faith that our Father knows the answers and that it'll work out. Whatever "it" is.
Please, Dear Lord, don't let me be like Ava sitting in her room frustrated and crying when I can just ask my heavenly father for help. Please let me humble myself enough to learn how to live by FAITH.

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts, Mandy! I have experienced some of the same moments of spiritual "epiphanies". I began to experience God on a whole new level when I became a parent. And then homeschooling...wow...so humbling! One homeschooling mom said, "Homeschooling my children has broken me." I know what she means. Being a stay-at-home mom is homeschooling, even if they're not "formally" schooled yet. It, like marriage, brings out both our strengths and our (my) glaring weaknesses. I've found myself running to Him daily (much like in my single days), because I NEED Him desperately to raise up these precious little ones for Him. What you're doing is for eternity. You might not get the accolades down here, but your children WILL rise up and call you blessed...someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true, Mandy! We're learning a whole list of new lessons in faith and trusting God. It's humbling, but I'd have it no other way. He knew exactly what my heart's desire was, to be home with my kids. He promised me over and over again as I was struggling with the decision that He would provide. Guess what? As soon as we decided to just trust him, He provided... again, and again, and again. It's just an awesome way to live. Great blog! :)
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete